Skip to content
Contact the CCR Microscopy Core Facility to Discuss your Experiment:
- Meet with Michael Kruhlak, Facility Head, to discuss your specific project. If the project is feasible, schedule an appointment to receive training and use the equipment.
- NO EXCEPTIONS – No one may use any Facility equipment until he/she has met with Michael Kruhlak.
Registration and Making Appointments on the Facility Web Calendar:
- New users will be able to register with the Facility and enter their own appointments for each of the microscopes as well as the computer workstations (WS) at the website, https://labshare.nih.gov/nci/CCR-Confocal/UserPages/Reservations.aspx. Timeline View will display the calendars for all the confocal microscopes and workstations for each day. Please contact Langston Lim if you have any questions.
- For fixed specimens, an appointment can be made anytime.
- For live cells, an appointment must be made in advance.
Design your Experiment:
- Select the appropriate fluorophores for your specific system.
- Decide on the proper fixation or the necessity for live cell imaging.
- Prepare samples using an appropriate technique (e.g., mounting media, substrate, coverslips).
Take Hands-On Training on the Selected Systems:
- Training occurs during your appointment with your samples.
- You will work independently after you have been fully trained (usually several appointments).
Saving and Accessing Images and Data:
- Users must only use the account created by the core facility on the microscope computer (not NIH account).
- Users must save all images to the designated folder.
- All original images are backed up on Image server.
- Users are recommended to copy their images from the Image server to their Home or external drives for analysis.
Setting up the Image Server on your Computer:
FOR PC USERS:
FOR MAC USERS:
- Map a network drive on your PC by opening the list of drives on your computer
- Select “Map Network Drive” from the tool bar.
- A new window will come up. Select the “T” drive or an available drive designation and enter the following path:
nciis-p001.nci.nih.govGroup12LECIMAGE in the folder space.
- Your images will now be found on the T or mapped drive of choice on your computer in LECIMAGE/IMAGES folder.
- Software for the Nikon SoRa and Zeiss systems are stored on the server in LECIMAGE/SOFTWARE folder for your use. Images acquired from the Zeiss systems can be viewed with the ZEN software. Images from the Nikon SoRa can be viewed with the NIS-Elements Viewer. Both software can be copied from the server and must be installed on your computer. It does not open from the server. The ZEN and Elements licensed software are available on the workstations in the lab. All software only works with PCs, not MACs.
- You need to connect to the server through the “GO” function and then type in “smb://nciis-p001.nci.nih.gov/Group12/LECIMAGE” and be sure the network is NIH (not NCI).